Baking with Woodlot
You can shop the Cinder Candle that inspired it all here.
FOR THE DOUGH
1 package active dry yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons) 1/2 cup warm water
fresh orange zest from 1 medium orange
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature 3 – 3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon & levelled)
FOR THE FILLING
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground clove
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
FOR THE GLAZE
1 cup confectioners’ sugar (or more for a thicker glaze) 3 Tablespoons orange juice
fresh orange zest from 1 orange
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
STEP 1: MAKE THE DOUGH
1. Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water for about 1 minute. Stir the yeast/water around. Then add orange zest, orange juice, sugar, salt, egg, butter, and 1.5 cups of flour. Beat everything together on low with a handheld mixer, scraping down the sides as needed. With a wooden spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle – about 1.5 – 2 more cups. You are looking for a dough that is not sticky and will spring back when poked with a finger.
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it with your hands for about 5-6 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and transfer it to a lightly greased bowl. Cover the dough and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1.5 hours.
3. Line the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving room on the sides. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and, using a rolling in, roll into a 10×15 inch rectangle. Make sure the dough is smooth and evenly thick (even at the corners!).
STEP 2: MAKE THE FILLING
1. In a small bowl, cream together the sugar and spices with the softened butter. Sprinkle over the rectangle dough. Tightly roll up the dough and cut into 16 even rolls (1 inch in width each) with a very sharp knife. Arrange them in the prepared baking pan, cut sides up.
2. Cover the rolls and let them rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes – 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cover the rolls with aluminum foil and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until they are lightly golden in color. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for about 15 minutes.
STEP 3: MAKE THE GLAZE
1. In a small bowl, mix together all of the glaze ingredients and drizzle over rolls before serving. If needed, add more orange juice to thin out. Pour glaze over the buns.
We hope this recipe & the candles that inspired it, add a little dash of light to your holiday week.
This recipe was created by Jennifer of My Edible Advice & adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction. Photography Sarah Lane Photo | Design & Concept Woodlot